Monday 20 March 2017


Reflection 2.1:



Note: This table will become critical in the second phase of this unit, leading to Assessment Task 2.

Although not teaching yet; I think (hope) my strengths lie within cultural knowledges/active citizenship – and learning that is real to students. These are the dimensions that I hope to bring to my delivery of teaching.



Strategy
Focus questions
When have I experienced this in the past?
How have I used this strategy as a teacher?
Deep knowledge and higher order thinking
Are higher-order thinking and critical analysis occurring?
I haven’t experienced this as a teacher. However, I believe I display this almost every day in the decision making process that undertake at work. I work for a major not-for-profit organisation; and am responsible for 100 employees, the delivery of over 25 contracts within the space of youth / training / homelessness / mental health and drug and alcohol delivery. I am daily called on to effectively manage the ‘end to end’ service provision from: program creation / tender writing / service model development / delivery / stakeholder management etc etc.
I haven’t as yet; but will aim to build in into my lesson planning; and also when ‘measuring the success’ of students and their grasp of concepts and their application – aligned to my curriculum area.
Does the lesson sequence cover operational fields in any depth, detail or level of specificity?
TBA
TBA
Do the work and response of the students provide evidence of depth of understanding of concepts or ideas?
TBA
TBA
Collaborative and social learning
Does classroom talk break out of the initiation/response/evaluation pattern and lead to sustained dialogue between students, and between teachers and students?
TBA
TBA
Knowledge as complex and linked to interests and experience
Are students critiquing and second-guessing texts, ideas and knowledge?
TBA
TBA
Does the lesson sequence range across diverse fields, disciplines and paradigms?
TBA
TBA
Is there an attempt to connect with students’ background knowledge?
TBA
TBA
Problems that are real and relevant to students
Do the lesson sequence and the assigned work have any resemblance or connection to real-life contexts?
TBA
TBA
Is there a focus on identifying and solving intellectual and/or real-world problems?
TBA
TBA
Student direction
Do students have any say in the pace, direction or outcomes of the lesson sequence?
TBA
TBA
Explicit quality performance criteria
Are the criteria for judging student performance made explicit?
TBA
TBA
Cultural knowledges
Active citizenship
Are diverse cultural knowledges brought into play?
TBA
TBA
Are attempts made to foster active citizenship?
TBA
TBA




4 comments:

  1. I find this table a bit of a slog also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you boys.. For me it's been difficult a sir rally have no experience in an education setting as the teacher... I've left it for now.. And will come back to that bit I think!

    ReplyDelete