Thursday 23 March 2017


Assessment task part A – Week 3:

Reflection of Blogger (reflection 1)

On commencing the unit I set up a wiki space, a weebly and also a blog. After experimenting with my weebly (which I found more aesthetically appealing) I decided however to concentrate my weekly reflections and development, and familiarity, with a blog.

The rationale for this was, I found ‘technically’ that the setting up and the maintenance and growth of the ‘blogger’ functions much more user friendly, which required limited experience to use it, and was highly intuitive; such as inserting an image or a video (simply hovering your mouse over the function buttons informs you wish button enables this); as captured in this screen dump:



I have found the settings allow me to have a range of functionality to adequately custom and modify my blogs, whilst easily returning to past blogs to update or edit, and indeed updating my blog ‘per se’ as I wish to add more content, or further refine; such as a change of ‘theme’. For instance, to make the blog more immediately relevant to the Humanities and Social Sciences area and my interest in politics and current affairs I have updated my blog to include, an imbedded link to a you tube clip of Paul Keating, on my welcome page I have embedded a URL link to the HASS curriculum rationale, that includes an explanatory video. In this way I am aiming to engage my reader in the content of the blog and in this context I find the settings of the technology flexible in scope to enable creativity, and tailoring for the particular purpose a user may wish. Included in this I have embedded a ‘vocaroo’ recording of myself in my header, so I can verbally welcome visitors to my blog.

Further by way of being user friendly, to navigate the blogger page and ensure privacy settings is very straight forward.  Simply going to: settings, blog readers, edit: then immediately you have three choices around privacy, which includes: 1) public, 2) private to only blog authors and 3) private to only nominated blog authors. Therefore, I feel this is a very important component to ‘blogger’ if and when using in the classroom to manage safety concerns and privacy of students. For example, each student could set their blog page to private with only each other student in the classroom for instance. However, there are further ‘layers’ of privacy, such as controlling who is able ‘comment’ in your blog (this would be an effective mechanism against ‘trolls’ and unsolicited correspondence etc), as well as controlling weather a search engine can find your blog; per below:



Also, Blogger has the ability to multi-Author, and importantly comments are easily captured and monitored (more on below, how this could be therefore used in a teaching context):



Critically, there are a range of other technical considerations that are important, that bring the effectiveness of blogger as an ICT instrument for classroom learning that integrates and embeds both Blooms Taxonomy and also the SAMR model.

By way of example, the ‘campaign functionality’ allows the user to have the capacity to set up and manage a campaign, as well as having the functionality to review ‘statistics’ and therefore monitor the effectiveness of the campaign by way of ‘visitor activity’, as well as allowing commentary from those visiting. As I explore in detail in my reflection 2.2., I propose as pedagogy the use of blogger to teach a component from the civic and citizenship curriculum ACHC S073 (http://www.australiancurriculum.edu.au/humanities-and-social-sciences/civics-and-citizenship/curriculum/7-10?layout=1#cdcode=ACHCS073&level=8) relating to distributing public material for a specific purpose and context.

For example, students may democratically decide on a position on an upcoming ‘motion’ in their local council area (such as approving a council rate increase), and could create a public awareness campaign to raise the profile of the particular issue prior to the council meeting and decision. Further, to enhance this learning embedding the SAMR model, the Local Elected Councillors could engage students on their blogs, relevant to their decision making and voting pattern on this issue. Taking this further, in understanding the principles that sit behind a particular councillor’s decision, the students could then choose another topical issue (perhaps this time a National issue; again, linking this to curriculum) and ‘apply’ what they have learnt, and argue a position, and employing ‘synthesis’ and ‘evaluation’ to enable and ensure higher order thinking.

Lastly, as with all utilisation of ICT and general internet use, as a (pre-service) teacher we must always have relevant legal, ethical and safety protocols front and centre. In a South Australian context, there is a key document “Cyber-Safety, Keeping Children Safe in a Connected World, Guidelines for Schools and Preschools”.


Importantly these guidelines have a specific focus and instruction for educators, as well as referencing a number of other policies. In the specific use of a blog, I believe there are a range of safety mechanisms (as mentioned above) that are built into blogger, that should be implemented when utilising blogger in a teaching context. Other considerations relate to the use of material that students may ‘post’ on their blog, the Smart Copying website sets out in comprehensive detail the prescriptions related to use within an education context:  http://www.smartcopying.edu.au/.










No comments:

Post a Comment