Wednesday 29 March 2017




4.3
As has been a theme throughout this unit, the scale and scope of the readings and my own ‘learning curve’ has been exponential.
Most importantly, it has been challenging, yet exciting; exciting as the scope and breadth of pedagogy through ICT is almost boundless and limitless. When considering the ICT requirement under the ‘general capabilities’ of the Australian curriculum – coupled with my ongoing learning in this unit, I feel a sense of ‘empowerment’. The key takeaway for me is ‘how do I create memorable learning experiences for my students’, that embeds ICT that is integrated within the context of the SAMR model and Blooms Taxonomy, that is scaled to higher order thinking and high quality learning.
I reviewed a number of the hyperlinks to create videos (and indeed wished Windows Movie Maker hadn’t been withdrawn). I dabbled with a number of them; including the use of Powtoon – although still constructing my video – per the screen dump below; I found Powtoon ‘high intuitive’ and actually create creative; forcing me how to present ‘ley messages’ to the learning content that I would be delivering, within a classroom context.


Equally, on reviewing the paper by Daniel Schwartz and Kevin Hartman (http://aaalab.stanford.edu/papers/Designed_Video_for_Learning.pdf) I equally felt a sense of empowerment of the ‘richness’ in learning through the use of video in pedagogy.

In the context of generating my own video, I utilised ‘videopad’, and although it is rudimentary; it really gives me the sense of a foundation; which I can use to grow and grow my own proficiency and pedagogy as I progress. I am also somewhat pleased to say, that is the first ever ‘you tube’ video that I have launched:






By way of pedagogy, integrating the SAMR model, drawing on both student generated and student accessed videos, I would propose:



‘How laws are made’



Substitution:

Students simply go on the Parliamentary Education Office Webpage, and watch the video on ‘passing of a bill’ and ‘what is parliament’




Augmentation:

Rather than watching an ‘introduction’ video to how laws are made; students then watch parliament live. I feel this ‘augments’ the use of video, as it enables the students to ‘be present’ in watching how laws are made (at this point, I would utilise a blog, and integrate a rage of pedagogical options (mentioned earlier in my blog) for students to respond to a range of questions around their observation of parliament.

I may coordinate this, relating to a specific piece of legislation (such as the creation of the National Disability Insurance Scheme); and the passage of this legislation into law. Students could track through the use of parliamentary videos, the creation of the NDIS from first reading through to Royal Assent.



Modification:

Once students had reviewed the initial videos (substitution) and then ‘augmented’ this through the ‘tracking of a bill’ to ‘a law’ (example: the NDIS) through parliamentary videos and recordings; students would then each be split into groups, and each group would then be allocated a particular ‘stage’ of making a law.

At this point, students would have to create their own video – capturing this stage of the Bill (although I have mentioned NDIS, students may decide on another issue: i.e. if you could pass a law tomorrow, what would it be? Or, what issue do you want changed in Australia?), at this point I would be drawing students prior knowledge of ICT and various video making platforms to create their video.


Redefinition:

As a class, coming back together; we would then co-join; the videos; that demonstrate and track how a bill becomes law. Once we have created this, we would then share via you tube; and students could embed on their blog. Where the class had decided on a particular issue that they have now ‘legislated on’, through their blog; students would then engage their Federal MP to show them their blog; and using this as a ‘platform’ to as the Federal Member on his response and consideration of the ‘chosen issue’; and indeed, within the right context, the Member of Parliament could introduce legislation to this extent, or utilise other mechanisms within parliament; such as a ‘Matter of Public Importance’ (MPI) to talk to ‘The House’, on the classes creation of the legislation and the importance of this in their education. This video of their parliamentarian speaking, could then also be embedded in their blogs – as a response to the class video of ‘the making of a law’.

No comments:

Post a Comment